Project-oriented internship

As a graduate student, you can participate in one project-oriented internship during your education. The possibilities are described in your study regulation, and it is a good idea to plan your internship very early.


This guide will take you through the process of project-oriented internship: right from your considerations of doing an internship, to the approval, and to have you registered for the exam and have been given a supervisor. If you need to get in contact with us you can find our contact information here.


6 steps in a project-oriented internship


  1. Check your study regulation and find the internship option(s) available to you, as the extent and placement of the internship may vary from program to program. Though, most of the study regulations suggest 15 or 30 ECTS internships placed on your thirds master’s semester. 
    Get a quick overview of the process involved
    Link collection of all things "internship"
  2. Get qualified advice about the academic requirements of your project-oriented internship from the subject's internship page or internship coordinator before signing a contract. Important! Some subjects require that you contact them before looking for an internship placement - see which, on the subjects specific internship page.
  3. Find internship positions in RUC's internship and job bank and inspiration at the events held by the Study and Career Guidance.
  4. Be sure to sign up for an internship during the ordinary enrollment period and the exam during the ordinary project formation on your subject. You need to have signed up during the ordinary enrollment period.
  5. Fill out and sign a contract and send the application for approval of your project-oriented internship with you contract attached. Apply for an approval of your internship before January 1st for the spring semester and August 1st for the fall semester, if you want to make sure you have a decision before the start of the semester. You need an approval from your study board before the internship begins.
  6. If you are a student from outside EU or EØS you might need a work permit for your internship (ST4 form), if the project-oriented internship is in Denmark, read more here and contact SIRI if you have any further questions.
    If you do need a work permit for an internship make sure to apply for approval very early as you cannot apply for a work permit before the university has approved your internship. When you have received an approval fill out your part of the ST4 form and send it to We will fill out the part required by the university and send it back to you, so you can apply SIRI for an additional work permit. 


Follow upcoming events for exciting inputs and workshops regarding your course of study and guidance in career opportunities here.