This master thesis projects aims to analyze the social impact of crowdfunding, particularly as it is used to enable extreme political and/or conspiratorial online groups. Despite the use of crowdfunding to support many of these groups, existing research offers little to describe these trends, or the specific design elements of crowdfunding platforms to which they are linked.
- The domains are crowdfunding and fake news.
- The intended theory is the theory of affordances.
- The method will combine qualitative analysis of online discussion with semi-structured interviews.
- The thesis requires that the student(s) gather and analyse new data, then identify patterns of technology-enabled behaviors as extreme groups adopt crowdfunding systems.
- The expected results include a preliminary look into the emerging issues that platform designers and policy-makers may need to consider in the near future.